Founder of the A. Horch & Cie Motorwagenwerke, now called Audi, August Horch began his automotive career while working in the field of engine construction. From 1896 to 1899, he managed the Motor Car Construction Department for Carl Benz in Mannheim, Germany. In 1899, August Horch founded A. Horch & Cie Motorwagenwerke, later changed to Horch-Werke AG, and now called Audi. August Horch’s cars became worldwide for fine engineering and stylish craftsmanship. Horch became a pioneer in the use of light alloy metals and was also an early advocate for mounting engines in a vehicle’s front rather than the rear, as was normally the case at the time. In 1920, Horch played a crucial role in Audi’s decision to adopt a left-hand drive on all their standard production models. Virtually all of his innovations were designed to enhance the driver friendliness of his cars. In addition to his automotive achievements, August Horch took on governmental responsibilities at high levels, including the post of Executive Officer of the German Motor Vehicle Industry Federation. In 1932, the Auto Union AG appointed him to its Supervisory Board, a position he held for the rest of his life. He received many other honors and awards including the Badge of Honor by the Association of German Engineers, Germany’s most prestigious engineering association. Throughout his career, August Horch maintained the respect and admiration of the automotive world.